I just returned home from a trip to Scandinavia (Denmark/Sweden/Norway), and was curious to see how far north I’d gone. I made it as far as Tromsø, which is at about 69.7°N, but where would that latitude place me in North America? It turns out, pretty far north – about halfway up Baffin Island. See for yourself on this quick map (drag the marker to move the line north and south, then see where in the world passes through that latitude).
Just thought I’d share a cool looking old map overlay I found digging through the BC Map Services. I enjoy the very detailed, yet simple look. I’ve also superimposed the City of Prince George Flood Plain 1997 layer, which I think is the digitized version of the scanned BC map. Kinda scary to see how far up Patricia/Winnipeg/17th/Massey it would flood, but I guess the City’s got it figured out.
I’m working my way through the UrtheCast API documentation, and got side-tracked into making a satellite tracker map. This map shows the ten most recent locations of four satellites (ISS, Deimos-1, Deimos-2, and Lansat-8) and their imagery swaths, I think. The reason I say I think is that the call for the imagery swaths (or the forecast) is set for the future, although the returned timestamps appear to be in the past.
I also think I figured out how to hide my UrtheCast api key and secret from prying eyes through a PHP proxy, but I could also be wrong about that! If you can see them, let me know. 🙂
If you’ve used WMS, you’re probably familiar with GetCapabilities (retrieves metadata) and GetMap (retrieves map tiles) requests. GetFeatureInfo is another type of request which retrieves attribute information at a given location, provided the server (e.g. GeoMet) has been configured to provide this information (look for “queryable=’1′ ” in the layer metadata).
One stumbling block I encountered (and likely handled poorly) was overcoming the issue of cross-origin resource sharing (CORS). No matter what I tried, I was blocked from retrieving the request response because, of course, my webpage resides on a different server than the WMS. I got around this by calling a PHP script that copies the text response from the request locally and reads that version. Honestly, I’m not sure why that works and reading the original request doesn’t, but it does and that’s good enough for me. If you have a simpler solution (I’m sure it’s out there), I’d love to learn about it!
Here‘s a super-quick map of Canadian grain elevators, using the Government of Canada’s Grain Elevators of Canada WMS.